Monday, November 5, 2007

It's My Mouth and I'll Do What I Want To...



Hi Y'all,

If one more person tells me - "Your teeth are fine!"..."Why are you going through all of this?"..."Did your dentist pressure you into this?" - I am gonna SCREAM!

I don't know all the terms for my diagnosis, but the need for braces is not just cosmetic - it is absolutley essential for the health of my teeth and gums in the long run.

I sucked my thumb until I was 16 years old! Granted, my teeth are nowhere near as jacked up as they should be! However, there are some things about my mouth that I definitely want changed!

For instance...I have never liked my smile; it is off...kinda like Tom Cruise. My teeth could also stand to be a little bit straighter and some minor spaces could stand to be closed. So, I am fixing these things now before my wedding day approaches and I have spent all this money on a photographer and I HATE my smile in all of my pictures! Funny, because I don't even have a boyfriend now so a wedding is far off...but at least I will be prepared :)

So with all of that said...(I'll say some more...)

I went in for my ortho consult in March 2007. In September 2007 I finally decided to have it all done. There were alot of things to consider...2.5 years in these darn things (thank God for ceramics), the SARPE (looking forward to my new gap - not really), the lower jaw surgery (will need to be broken/reset and wired for 8 weeks)...I just wanted to make sure that I was ready for all this.
In October 2007 I got my bottom braces put on and some spacers to make room for bands and "THE EXPANDER" (I love all the nicknames everyone has come up with!).
On November 6th (tomorrow) I get "THE EXPANDER" put in. Then, on November 13th I have my SARPE!

Well, it's too late to turn back...I already gave my ortho $1000 :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl I love it! I'm going to forward this blog to Maddy. :)

Ms.60Nine said...

Leah, I am so proud of you. Braces make beautiful faces! This blog is too cool! I will call you soon before you can't talk anymore. Braces or no braces, you are still my sistah gurl!

Finding Me said...

Awww, my poor friend. Well yes the process has really started. To Tomeeka if you haven't talked to her yet, you're going to get a kick out of talking to her now. The slurping, and trying to understand what she is saying is a job in itself. LOL :) Leah I support you in what you're doing to make you feel better about your smile. I still love you, baby gap and all! :)

Anonymous said...

That's right, girl- do what you want!! 'cause if I want to get a boob job, lip injections, and my nose broken and reset, dammit, I'm gonna do it!!! Okay, I went to the extreme, but I get your point :) Well, I'll be there slurping down mashed yams with you for Thanksgiving, hehehe...